March 2, 2012

Sugar Cookies Bars II

I keep seeing frosted sugar cookie bar recipes all over the food blogs I'm obsessed with and Pinterest (my newest addiction) and I had made them once before here. I wasn't a huge fan to be honest, so I really had no intention of ever making them again, but I promised my friend Jenna I would make her the dessert of her choice for her baby shower, and she requested these.

So I tweaked the frosting recipe a bit and baked them in smaller batches and.... I LOVED THEM!! Instead of using a cookie sheet I baked the recipe in two 8x8 pans (I tasted one batch for "quality control" and the other was for Jenna) and used just butter instead of a butter/shortening mix in the frosting. Y-U-M-M-Y!




Sugar cookie bars

Ingredients

For the cookie bars:

1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon sallt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

For the frosting:

1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
5 tablespoons milk (I used heavy cream)
Food coloring, as desired
Sprinkles, for garnish, optional

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Grease a 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan (or two 8 x 8 inch baking pans); set aside.

3. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the
butter and sugar on medium speed (4 on my Kitchen-Aid) until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.

4. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each additioin.

5. Add the vanilla.

6. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.

7. Reduce the mixer to low speed, and slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix until thorougly combined.

8. Using a rubber spatula (or damp hands), pat the dough into the prepared sheet (or divide between the two pans).

9. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. They should be light golden brown.  They will not look done in the middle, so make sure to use the toothpick test.

10. Cool completely.

For the frosting:

1. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.

2. Add the vanilla and salt, mixing well.

3. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until thoroughyl combined.

4. Add the milk/cream until smooth and spreading consistency. You may need more or less than 5 tablespoons to get the right consistency. Just eyeball it. :)

5. Add your desired amount of food color and mix until incorporated.

6. Frost and decorate the cooled cookie bars.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment