March 15, 2012

Baby's 1st Birthday Cake

      I got my first "official" cake order a few weeks ago. A former co-worker of mine has an adorable little girl that was (and now is) turning 1. She asked me if I could make a strawberry cake and make the icing "Tiffany blue." So of course I said yes, and then panicked because... what if I ruined it? What if it came out lopsided? That's happened more than once to me! But I said yes, so I had to do it. And it turned out: PERFECT!


      I used the cake recipe from Glen's birthday cake I made in October. I had to double the recipe to get 5 layers. It made 6 but that was too tall and I needed to "quality check."

      Since she wanted a colored icing I used the buttercream icing recipe from my Sugar Cookie Bars II. I used Wilton Sky Blue food coloring to tint it a pale blue, then used Wilton Teal food coloring until I got the color I was looking for. I had to make 2 recipes of the icing for the blue. I made 1 recipe of icing for the white piping work.

      Friday night I baked the cakes, let them cool and then wrapped them in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge overnight. Saturday afternoon I made the first batch of blue icing and assembled the cake and then "crumb coated" it and put it in the fridge for an hour. Then I made the second batch of icing and put the top coat on. I put the cake in the fridge overnight.



      Sunday morning I did the piping work and then put it in the freezer for 2 hours so it would stay cold on the 30 minute drive to the party. Note to self: charge for delivery ;)
  



This is how it turned out:



The amazing dessert table Chelsea set up!



The cake :)



This was a LOT of work, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Chelsea said the cake was a big hit and I'm glad I was able to be a part of a little girl's 1st birthday :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment