March 15, 2012

Cadbury Mini Egg Cookies

I saw a picture on Pinterest of a cookie using crushed Easter candy recently and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. So today on the way home I decided I had to try this since I haven't baked in like 5 days! The insanity ;)

All I did was use my all-time favorite cookie base and add crushed candy. Not very brilliant, but very tasty! I only used 8 oz of the candy, but you could definitely get away with using the entire bag. I wish I had because those last candies somehow magically disappeard ;) Don't judge me! I put the candies in a plastic bag and crushed them with a heavy pot... because I don't own a rolling pin.



Cadbury Mini Egg Cookies
yields approximately 18 cookies

Ingredients

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (10 5/8 ounces) bread flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm
1 cup packed (7 ounces) light brown sugar
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 oz Cadbury mini eggs (from a 10 oz bag), crushed
 
Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. You want to bake these on the middle rack position in your oven, so arrange the racks accoringly. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or use a nonstick pan. Do no spray them with nonstick cooking spray bc it will turn brown in the oven and cause the bottoms of the cookies to burn a bit.

2. Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl; set aside.

3. Mix the butter and sugars until thoroughly blended and the sugar is disolved (appx 5 minutes in the mixer). Beat in the egg, yolk, and vanilla until combined. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed just until combined. Stir in the crushed candies. Chill the dough for 1 hour.

4. Roll 2 ounces (2 heaping tablespoons) of dough into a ball. Use the technique from Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies to for the dough. Place the formed dough balls on the prepared baking sheets, jagged surface up, spacing them 2 1/2 inches apart. I put 6 on a large cookie sheet.

5. Bake until the cookies are light golden grown and the outer edges just start to harden yet the centers are still slightly underdone, 8-10 minutes. DO NOT overbake. Start checking hte cookies at 8 minutes and then recheck in 1 minute intervals until the edges have just started to brown. Cool the cookies on the sheets for 10 minues then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment