October 21, 2011

Most Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookie Ever

Yesterday an attorney at my office brought in cookies from Tiff's Treats and Glen (my boss) walked by my desk and commented on how good they were. He did it to get a rise out of me, and it worked! So I tasted one and while they are delicious, mine are better.

Nathan (another attorney I work for) was giving me a hard time about not sending him a thank you note for the gift certificate he gave me. I totally earned that gift card by working 6 hours of overtime helping him. But, being the sweetheart that I am, I decided I would make him cookies. He told me like chewy chocolate chip cookies.

I did a little bit of research on the internet to try and figure out the secret to chewy cookies! Sour cream? Melted butter? What was the answer??? It was this: bread flour, melted butter and brown sugar! Of course! Bread flour has a high protein content which helps the cookies to spread less. Cookies made from brown sugar will absorb moisture after baking, helping to ensure that they stay chewy. Melting the butter first helps dissolve the sugar better than softened butter and gives the cookie an amazing texture! And as always, I recommend buying a digital kitchen scale to weigh the ingredients instead of using measuring cups/spoons and to make sure the cookies are each the same size.

So behold: the most amazing chocolate chip cookie. Ever. I promise.


 
















Most Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookie Ever
yields approximately 24 cookies

Ingredients
 
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (10 5/8 ounces) bread flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm
1 cup packed (7 ounces) light brown sugar
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
 
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. You want to bake these on the middle rack position in your oven, so arrange the racks accoringly. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or use a nonstick pan. Do no spray them with nonstick cooking spray bc it will turn brown in the oven and cause the bottoms of the cookies to burn a bit.

2. Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl; set aside.

3. Mix the butter and sugars until thoroughly blended and the sugar is disolved (appx 5 minutes in the mixer). Beat in the egg, yolk, and vanilla until combined. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed just until combined. Stir in the chips. Chill the dough for 1 hour.

4. Roll 2 ounces (2 heaping tablespoons) of dough into a ball. Use the technique from Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies to for the dough. Place the formed dough balls on the prepared baking sheets, jagged surface up, spacing them 2 1/2 inches apart. I put 6 on a large cookie sheet.

5. Bake until the cookies are light golden grown and the outer edges just start to harden yet the centers are still slightly underdone, 8-10 minutes. DO NOT overbake. Start checking hte cookies at 8  minutes and then recheck in 1 minute intervals until the edges have just started to brown. Cool the cookies on the sheets for 10 minues then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment