September 25, 2011

Turtle Cookies



This honestly may be the most amazing cookie ever, so of course it is fitting as my first ever blog post! Cut me some slack as I'm still learning how to do this. :)

My Baking Addiction is easily one of my top 5 favorite food blogs. I found this recipe on her website and was hesitant to make it because of the complexity of the ingredients (2 kinds of flour seemed like too much of a hassle for me) and the timing (how am I supposed to wait 24 hours to make these gems?), but trust me: IT. IS. WORTH. IT.

You could substitute different kinds of chocolate chips and nuts, but in the classic turtle tradition, I stuck with pecans. I think because of the sweetness of the caramel bits using any chocolate sweeter than "dark" would be too sweet.

I made these for a dear friend of mine when I was in Oklahoma this past weekend visitng my family and I described them to her as "legal crack." They are a fantastic combination of soft, chewy, sweet and salty. If you don't like them then I'm not sure we can be friends. Seriously. Try them and let me know your opinions.


Turtle Cookies

yields approximately 2 dozen cookies


Print Friendly and PDF

Ingredients

  • 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons cake flour
  • 1 2/3 cups bread flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups dark chocolate chips (I used Hershey's Special Dark Baking Pieces)
  • 1 cup caramel pieces (I used Kraft Caramel Bits)
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

Directions

  1. Whisk flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
  2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Gently stir in the chocolate chips, then the caramel bits and finally the pecans.  Adding each seperately ensures an even distribution in each cookie.
  3. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.
  4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.
  5. Scoop 3 ounce mounds of dough (the size of generous golf balls) onto baking sheet.*
  6. Bake until golden brown but still soft, 16 to 20 minutes.** Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more.
  7. Repeat with remaining dough.

Notes

* These cookies spread quite a bit, even after being chilled for 24 hours, so make sure not to crowd the baking sheet. I used a jelly roll sheet and could only fit 6 cookies on a sheet.
** When the edges are barely starting to brown take them out of the oven. They will cook a bit more on the hot baking sheet.
-Kraft caramel bits are available at your local grocery store in the baking section.

This recipe is courtesy of My Baking Addiction.
Pin It

1 comment: