September 27, 2011

Pot Roast: It's what's for dinner!

Anyone that knows me very well knows that I love to bake. Most of the time it's a sandwich or bowl of Cheerios (or Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cookie Crisp, etc) for dinner. But I've been more determined to cook lately and I'm proud to say that I've found a recipe that is just as good as my Meme's (and that is saying a LOT)! So if you're in the mood for comfort food.... you have come to the right recipe :)

Feast your eyes.........


That was pre-roasting, but trust me when I say it tasted 1,000 times more delicious than it looks here after 3 hours in the oven.

Pot Roast

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours

Ingredients

1 whole (3 pound) chuck roast
2 T. olive oil
2 white onions
6-8 carrots (I used more bc I love them)
1 cup red wine (I used beef broth because red wine gives me the icks)
3 cups beef stock (you could certainly use broth, but stock is a bit richer)
3 sprigs fresh thyme
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
Kosher salt, to taste
Fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Preparation

1. Preheat your oven to 275°. Take your roast out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking, to let it warm up a bit. Generously salt and pepper the roast on both sides. Pat the salt and pepper into the meat.

2. Using a large Dutch over, or oven-safe pot, heat the olive oil over med-high heat (I put my dial on the stove at 7 out of 10).

3. Cut the two onions in half, peel the outer skin off, and place cut side down in the pot. Brown the onions on both sides. Remove from pot and add the carrots, browning for 2-3 minutes. Remove the carrots from the pot and add the roast. Sear well on all sides (about 2 mins per side) to get a nice brown, crust.

4) Remove the roast and set on a plate. Stir in beef stock (or wine, if preferred) and deglaze the pan, scraping up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pot.

5) Once the pan is deglazed, add the roast to the pot and add enough beef stock to come half-way up the roast (appx. 3 cups).  Add the carrots, onions and herbs.

6) Cover the pot and place in the oven for 3 hours, or until the roast is tender and pulls apart easily.

7) Once the roast is done and vegetables are tender, remove from the pot and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. If you let it sit in the hot liquid the meat and veggies will continue cooking and may become mushy.

*If you use a bigger roast  you will need to increase the cook time for appx. 1 hour per pound. (Ex. 4 pounds = 4 hours)


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment