June 18, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Soup

If you've looked at this blog before, you know about 98% of the recipes on here are desserts. Why? Because I really like rules and in baking you have to follow the rules for something to turn out correctly. Cooking is..... too subjective. You can add things, leave them out, whatever tickles your fancy.  All that is really to say: cooking savory food is not my favorite thing to do. HOWEVER, if I find a recipe that I like, I will make it over and over and over. This is one of those recipes. It really is up for interpretation, but I think my recipe as listed below is the best ;)

This makes a large pot of soup, so it's perfect for me to take to work for lunch for at least a week!




Chicken Enchilada Soup
Adapted from: Six Sister's Stuff

Ingredients:
5 cups chicken stock
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne powder (add more if you like it hotter)
2 (14.5 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
1-2 jalapeno peppers, minced (I only used about 3/4 of a large pepper)
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups frozen corn
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
8 oz. block pepperjack cheese, shredded
Cilantro, optional (I do not like cilantro so I didn't use any, but if you like it... toss some in!)
Tortilla chips

Directions:

In a large stockpot, add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add chicken breasts, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Simmer about 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside to cool.

Add tomatoes, jalapenos, bell pepper, onion, and garlic to the pot. Simmer about 30 minutes, covered until tomatoes have begun to break down.

While the tomatoes are simmering, shred the cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces.

Add black beans, corn, and tomato paste and stir to incorporate. Add cheese and stir to melt. Return chicken to soup and cook for a couple more minutes until desired you reach your desired consistency.
If you want thicker soup, add strips of flour tortilla. They will dissolve into the soup to thicken the broth. Add cilantro (if using), reserving some to top individual bowls if desired.

Ladle into serving bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, leftover pepperjack cheese and more cilantro if desired.


Notes:

I like spice, however I don't want to sweat when I'm eating (unless we're talking Hot Tamales candy, then I'll sweat like a _____ in church with no complaints). So, I only used a portion of a jalapeno and I scraped out all the seeds and membranes (white line thingys) before I added the pepper to the soup. If you want to sweat, add more. Or less. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment