November 25, 2013

Breakfast Casserole

 
Whenever someone in my section at work has a birthday we all bring a dish and have breakfast together to celebrate. And we all wear tiaras. I still don't know why, but that's how we do it at my office :)  I was really busy last week so I wanted something "semi-homemade" and savory. There is always too much sugar at these things. One of the best breakfast foods in the history of the world is biscuits and gravy (that's not my opinion, it's a fact) so I started looking for a casserole dish using biscuits and gravy. I found a recipe over at The Tasty Fork and it looked delicious so I modified it a little and brought it to work. It was a HUGE hit. And super easy. We ate it for dinner the next few nights at my house! Over at The Tasty Fork she used green chilies and Rotel in her casserole (see below) so check out her recipe if you want a little more spice!
 

This is the casserole from The Tasty Fork's website

Biscuits, Sausage & Gravy Casserole, serves 4-8
 
  • 1 lb breakfast sausage, casing removed
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 30 oz bag frozen potatoes (diced/cubed/etc. - whatever you like!)
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 1 package of dry gravy mix (I used Pioneer "country" gravy)
  • 1 can of jumbo biscuits, 8 biscuits (I used Pillsbury Grands Homestyle Original)
  • 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cut the biscuits into quarters and set aside. You can leave them whole if you like, but I wanted people to be able to eat this while standing up :)
  3. In a hot skillet, add sausage and cook until the sausage is no longer pink. Spoon sausage onto a plate, saving as much of the grease as you can.
  4. To the skillet add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and potatoes. Cook about 8 – 10 minutes. The potatoes don’t need to be browned, just done enough to hold their shape. Season with salt & pepper.
  5. Prepare the gravy — follow the directions on the packet.
  6. Grease a casserole dish (I used a 13" x 9" pan) and add 1/2 of the potato mixture, sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the potatoes. Place biscuits on top and add the rest of the potatoes, sausage and gravy. Top with the rest of the cheese. Bake for 30 minutes. Let the casserole sit a few minutes before digging in.
I would recommend more than 1 packet of gravy…. I would've been happier with more gravy :)


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment