November 29, 2012

Quiche Lorraine Scones

Whenever I'm in Oklahoma City I try to make a trip to visit my friends Jenn and Ryan and see their daughter. We usually do brunch somewhere or I bring some sort of dessert. This time I decided to bring a savory item! I saw this recipe for Quiche Lorraine Scones on Brown-Eyed Baker's blog recently. I'm not a huge quiche fan, but I am a big cheese fan and quiche lorraine just sounded like something Jenn would like. She's fancy. So this is what I took and they were good! I didn't follow the recipe exactly and I wish I had. I put way too much cheese in them. I would recommend following the recipe exactly first and then change it if you wish :) Happy holidays!!!



Bryn means business!!


She's a sweetheart really :)





Quiche Lorraine Scones

Ingredients:
2 cups + 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
Pinch cayenne pepper
Dash nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold butter, diced
½ cup half-and-half
2 eggs
4 ounces Swiss cheese, diced
3 green onions, thinly sliced
7 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water)
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2. Prepare the bacon, onion and cheese. Toss these ingredients together with 1 teaspoon flour; set aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cayenne, nutmeg and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the butter is pea-size. With a fork, lightly beat the eggs and half-and-half and add to the flour mixture. Add the bacon, onion and cheese mixture. Using a wooden spoon, fold mixture until it begins to come together.

4. Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead gently for less than one minute. Pat dough to ¾ to 1-inch thick and cut using 3-inch biscuit cutter (for large scones) or cut into squares or triangles. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash.
5. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment